Monday, May 23, 2011

Flaca, Flaca, Eat!

Hey there! I know a couple of days ago I promised to improve on the frequency of my writing, but what can I say, I apparently can't keep a promise. I really had intended on blogging the other day but we lost internet for a hot second, but not to worry, because we are back on and ready to go. Now that we are approaching our last week and a half of our time in Iquitos, I am almost all caught up on giving you the background information. So maybe, if you are lucky, before I leave you will get a post that is slightly more descriptive as far as telling you the happenings of our day. However, before we get to excited you have to hear about the bet part of our trip thus far, the community of El Porvenir


...And this is how you eat a Fish (I swear the title is relevant)
     Our interactions with the people in the El Porvenir just over a week ago. Two Thursdays ago we accompanied Rose Mary in the Motocar through the city of Iquitos, and up and around the bumpy windy path which drops you off at the barrio of Pampachica. Upon hopping out of the mototaxi, my eyes popped open. There were small children splashing in the water, which surrounded us on both sides as we slowly ad carefully crossed the rickety bridge, careful not to fall in the gaps (I wasn't in the mood to go swimming.) After exchanging greetings with everyone we passed (this takes forever since everyone kisses) we approached centro cultural. While prior to our entrance kids had been hard at work, the second we entered everyone came crowding around. They jumped on Rose Mary and after noticing their two new guests they suddenly fell quiet. Each one walked bashfully to their seats trying to figure out what was going on. The two teachers, Kemy and Yanir welcomed us, but were equally confused by our presence. Since I was with the older kids, they hesitantly introduced themselves. Slowly they became more comfortable, and before I knew it they were talking 2000 words per minute, and though I tried to know what was going on it was pretty much a lost cause. So this was introduction number one to El Porvenir, but little were we prepared for the next couple interactions to come.
       The following day was the big day. We would be meeting about 30 or so neighbors from the El Porvenir community and traveling to a park called Santa Clara to work on the theatre workshop that we had been planning the previous two days. The bus ride over was anything but comfortable. Between the 6 o'clock wake up call, the water filled ditches, and the fact I recognized only one person, I was ready to turn around and get back to bed. Luckily, however, that was not an option and after participating in games where I appeared like an absolute fool, making numerous language errors, and having to be taught how to eat a giant fish, by the end of the day I felt that despite barely understanding anything that was going on, I had made 30 new friends. The next couple days consisted of getting to know the community more. They had invited us to their town meetings, youth group meetings, and classes at the centro commercial. Throughout the next week, they taught us spanish, joked with us (or at us, not really sure which one), and took us on a boat tour of El Porvenir. What an incredible group of people! They have been so warm and hospitable, patient with our linguistic struggle, and the best teachers! Just like the organization, Kallpa, each member of the community with their own personality, but collectively they represent the hardest working, most motivated and dedicated people I have ever met. Okay, well enough rambling for now. Hopefully, with each post, you are learning more and more about our trip, but in the process are at least slightly entertained at my poor attempts at humor! Hold your horses (or caballos) because coming soon are trip highlights, spanish bloopers, and 200 ways to prepare a plantain!

No comments:

Post a Comment